Eugene W. Rice Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a written record with photographs of his time in a hill town in Northern Italy (1945), photographs, photographic slides, diaries, audio recordings.
- 1942-1999, unknown
- Rice, Eugene W.,1920-1995. (Person)
- Rice, Eugene W., Mrs., (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene W. Rice was born on February 28, 1920 in Maine and joined the Army on October 5, 1942 in Portland, Me. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working as cashier. Rice joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash. as a member of Company I of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He was later stationed at Camp Hale, Colo.; Fort Ord, Calif.; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex.; and in Italy. Rice received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions in the Apennine Mountains and Po Valley. He attained the rank of Technician Grade Four. Rice died on March 24, 1995 in Covina, Calif.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Mrs. Eugene Rice; 1998. Gift; Jennifer Engels; 2019.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. -- Archival resources.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rice, Eugene W., 1920-1995 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eugene W. Rice Papers
- Keli Schmid
- September 26, 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States