John Dexter McKenzie Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copy prints of original photographs taken between 1943-1944 and organized into three sections: training at Camp Carson; march from Carson to Camp Hale; and training at Camp Hale; followed by related ephemera. The photographs are well organized and identified.
- McKenzie, John Dexter,1923-2003. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Dexter McKenzie was born on February 24, 1923 in Iowa and enlisted in the Army in San Francisco, California on January 29, 1943. At the time of enslistment he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was assigned to Battery C of the 640th Field Artillery Battalion. He also served at Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. During combat operations in Italy, McKenzie received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Mt. Belvedere on February 20, 1945. He attained the rank of Corporal. McKenzie died on September 7, 2003 in Orinda, California.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McKenzie, John Dexter, 1923-2003 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Pictorial works.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Dexter McKenzie Papers
- Keli Schmid
- June 3, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States