Daniel J. Phillips Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photographs and postcards documenting Phillips service with the 10th Mountain Division (1942-1945). Some of the image have been identified.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Daniel Phillips was born in West Fitchberg, Massachusetts on June 10, 1915 and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. He was assigned to the 87th Infantry Regiment, Company E, but later served with Companies A, K, F, and L. Phillips also served with Headquarters, Second Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment; and with the Mountain Training Group. Phillips was stationed at Camp Hale, Colorado; Fort Ord, California; Kiska, Alaska; the Columbia Ice Fields at Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada; and Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy. He was wounded in action while engaged in combat operations near Castel d'Aiano on March 20, 1945 and received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Torre Iussi on April 14, 1945. Phillips attained the rank of staff sergeant. He died on May 5, 1992 in Seattle, Washington.
2 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Daniel J. Phillips; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Phillips, Daniel J., 1915-1992 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Pictorial works.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daniel J. Phillips Papers
- Keli Schmid
- April 28, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script