William Jeffrey Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence (1909-1939); itineraries; clippings (1921); school records (1912-1913); materials relating to the building of Monarch Pass, Colo.: reports, financial statements, photographs, "Story of old monarch pass" by Joseph Jeffrey.
- Jeffries family. (Person)
- Autobee, Robert, (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William M. Jeffrey was born in N.Y. in Feb. 1884, the son of Joseph and Alice Jeffrey. In 1890, the family moved to Diamond Creek, Chase County, Kan. where Joseph Jeffrey owned a general store. William Jeffrey was a graduate of the University of Colo. and during WWI, served as a 1st Lieutenant in the Engineers. He worked as a highway engineer for the Bureau of Public Lands and on such notable projects as the construction of Monarch Pass (south-central, Colo.). Jeffrey was married to Mildred Saunders in 1920. The couple had four children: Joseph J., Mary L., Horace S., Sarah E. Jeffrey.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Robert and Kris Autobee, 2010.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Highway engineers -- Colorado -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James M. Jeffrey, 1884- -- Archives.
- Jeffries family -- Archives.
- Monarch Pass (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States