Walter R. Hyry Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence (1945); copies of photographs of Camp Hale and Aspen, Colo., Italy, Yugoslavia (1943-1945)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Walter Hyry was born in Michigan July 1, 1924 the son of Marnie Hyry and grandson of John and Sanna Amasmski, with whom he was living with his brother, Alden Hyry, in 1940. Hyry enlisted in the Army and trained with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and Camp Swift, Texas. He was assigned to Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Hyry served with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy during World War II where he was wounded in action on Mt. Gorgolesco on Feburary 20, 1945 and earned a Bronze Star for action in the Apennine Mountains on April 16, 1945. He attained the rank of Sergeant.
After the war, Hyry was active in the Michigan Chapter of the 10th Mountain Association.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Walter Hyry; 1998, 2000.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hyry, Walter R., 1924- -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Walter R. Hyry Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 28, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script