John Wayles Kennedy Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains original journal (January-August 1945), typed transcription, and letter.
- 1945, 1999
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Kennedy was born on February 24, 1923 in St. Mary’s City, Maryland to John Wayles Kennedy, a farmer, and Laura Hebb Kennedy, a teacher. Kennedy enlisted in the Army on January 31, 1943 at Fort Myer, Virginia, having completed one year of college. He was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division and began his training at Camp Swift, Texas. Kennedy served with the 10th in Italy during World War II where he earned a Bronze Star for his actions during combat in Castel D’Aiano on Hill 913 on April 14, 1945. He was wounded in action the next day. After returning to the United States after the war, Kennedy earned a Bachelor of Science degree and completed one year of graduate school before pursuing a career in the foreign service with the United States State Department. He married Dina Morelli and the couple had two children.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; John W. Kennedy; 2000.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kennedy, John W. (John Wayles), 1923- -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- John Wayles Kennedy Papers
- Keli Schmid
- June 1, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script