Judson P. Hurd Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence (1944-1945), unit journal (1944-1945), clippings, menu, photograph of Hurd (1945).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Judson P. Hurd was born August 17, 1923 in New York. He completed four years of high school and enlisted in the Army at New York City, February 3, 1941. He enlisted in the Field Artillery for service in Hawaii and was present during the attack at Pearl Harbor. He was selected for officer training and received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the infantry in November 1944. Hurd was then assigned to Company D, 86th Infantry Regiment. Lieutenant Hurd was wounded in action March 3, 1945 near Monteforte, Italy, where he also received the Silver Star Medal for gallantry. Following World War II, Hurd remained in the Army. As a 1st Lieutenant, he served during the Korean War with Company F, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. Hurd was wounded in action in Korea June 3, 1951 and subsequently killed in action October 3, 1951. He is interred at Arlington National Cemetery.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Robert B. Hurd; 2013. Gift; Judson E. Hurd; 2013.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Hurd, Judson P., 1923-1951 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judson P. Hurd Papers
- Keli Schmid
- August 21, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script