Frank Bonanno Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a scrapbook with photographs of Bonanno and his friends, personal letter, other papers; loose material: uniform patches, medal, name tag; photomontage of photos documenting basic training to service in Italy.
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Frank Bonnano was born in New York City in 1917, the son of Italian immigrants Andrew and Teresa Bonanno. He graduated with a degree in journalism from San Jose State University in California, and married Louise Ortalda in 1942. He enlisted in the Army February 15, 1943, at San Francisco, California, and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, where he was assigned to Company K of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He subsequently served at Fort Ord, California; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas; after which he was sent to Italy. While engaged in combat operations against German forces occupying Italy, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Mt. Croce on April 16, 1945. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Bonnano returned to his job at the San Jose Evening News in 1947, beginning work as a copy editor and wire editor. He stayed on for 41 years, rising to managing editor before he retired in 1981. Bonnano passed away July 26, 1999, in San Jose, California.
1 oversize folio
1 Oversize file folder
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Nancy O'Connor, 2005.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Bonanno, Frank, 1917-1999 -- Archives.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medals. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frank Bonanno Papers
- Keli Schmid
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script