Joseph W. Bowles Diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains diary entries for 1877 somewhat intermittent and have to do mainly with farm activities and accounts.
- Bowles, Joseph W., 1836-1906 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph W. Bowles was a Colo. pioneer miner, rancher, irrigationist, financier. Arrived Colorado 1859 in seach of gold and for a time engaged in mining in the Nevada mining district west of Central City. Moved to Littleton area 1862 to begin farming and cattle raising. His first land purchase was 160 acres in 1867. He eventually accumulated about 2,000 acres near Littleton. Bowles was successful at farming and also developed an enormous cattle-raising operation. He purchased another 4,000 acres which became the "Bar Eleven Ranch." Bowles was elected county commissioner in 1869 and again in 1874, and was sent to the state legislature by Arapahoe County voters in 1880. Bowles served as director of Denver's City National Bank and was the executive commissioner of the first state grange. He died on September 11, 1906 and is buried in Littleton Cemetery.
1 envelope(s) (1 volume)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Permission to photocopy, Joseph W. Bowles, Jr., Trinidad, Colo., 1966.
Photocopy (1966) of original in possession of grandson, Joseph W. Bowles, Jr.
- Colorado -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farmers -- Colorado -- Littleton -- 19th century -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ranchers -- Colorado -- Littleton -- 19th century -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Joseph W. Bowles Diary.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script