Mrs. George McGrew Diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a pocket diary with bound transcription copy of a trip from Kalamazoo, Mich. to Placerville, Calif. (April-October 1854) Travel was from Chicago and St. Louis; overland by wagon via Fort Laramie, Fort Bridger, Salt Lake, Potter's Station, Sacramento. Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm192).
- April 19-October 27, 1854.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
George McGrew may have been George Washington McGrew who was born in Ohio in 1815 and died in Santa Clara County, California in the 1890s. His wife was Mrs. Matilda E. McGrew (1829-1908).
1 Boxes (.25 linear feet)
1 microfilm reels (35mm) (Mflm 192)
"This diary was found among my effects in the fall of 1932."--Typed transcript signed: Warren A. Haggott, Feb. 28, 1933.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown donor; no date.
Collection contains microfilm Mflm 192.
Microfilm reel also contains: J. E. Thomas letters (WH1710; Mflm190; RL1), Manning C. Hollowell letters (WH1700; Mflm191; RL1); Anselm Holcomb Barker papers (WH480; Mflm193; RL1), Joseph G. Brown papers (WH52; Mlfm194; RL1).
Attribution of authorship made by a former owner of diary, W.A. Haggott.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Utah -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wyoming -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Mrs. George McGrew Diary
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script