Robert E. Eagan Papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, notebooks, photo scrapbook pages, notes, typewritten copies of articles and newspaper clippings relating to Dodge City and western Kansas. Includes photographs of sheriffs, deputies, mayors, workers, editors, merchants, school groups, sports teams, bands, criminals, firemen, families, businesses, the town, churches, trains, locomotives, automobiles, Native Americans, stagecoaches, cattle, cowboys, hide yards, schools, bicycles, drawings, documents and houses. Names include Albert Alonzo Robinson, Stubbs, Milton, Miller, Evans, Straeter, Riney, Kirkpatrick, Imel, Van Riper, Tarbox, Kampf, Dillworth, Hooley, Baird, Dixon, Hanrahan, Leonard, Rath, Johnson, Bond, Qanah Parker, Anthony, Hoover, Sitler, Riney, McCarty, Deger, Webster, Sutton, Wright, Ham Bell, Short, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Bill Hickock, Doc Holliday, Charles Bassett, Beeson, Fisher, Zimmerman, Raymond, Kelley, Frost, Klaine, Bainbridge, Hinkle, Hale, Sughrue, Singer, Straughn, Dora Hand, Thompson, Tilghman, Elden, Lowe, Olive, Nixon, Mather, Ben Hodges, Rhodes, Landis, Ford, Grunke, Locations include Adobe Walls, Long Branch Saloon, and a publicity photo for the television program "Gunsmoke."
- circa 1864-1967
- Eagan, Robert E.,1896-1967. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Dodge City, Kansas resident. 42-year employee of Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. As an avocation, Eagan researched Dodge City and Kansas history through interviews, correspondence, reading, and collecting.
5 Boxes (4 linear feet)
1 photo boxes
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Mrs. R.E. Eagan, 1969.
Scrap book pages formerly "C Photo Album 147."
- Dodge City (Kans.) -- History -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eagan, Robert E., 1896-1967 -- Archives.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kansas -- Dodge City. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kansas -- History -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Masterson Family.
- Masterson, Bat, 1853-1921 -- Family.
- Peace officers -- Kansas -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script