James C. Merritt Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains 56 color slides of Italy, WWII, training, rock climbing, post war reunion (1942-1945, 1950-1951, 1985); b/w photographs of Kiska, Camp Hale and the Italian Campaign (1943-1945).
- 1942-1945, 1950-1951, 1985
- Merritt, James C.,1922-2008. (Person)
- Merritt, James C., 1922-2008 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
James C. “Jim” Merritt was born in Oregon in 1922. He completed three years of college prior to enlisting in the Army October 19, 1942 at Portland, Oregon. Merritt volunteered for the “ski troops” and joined Company I of the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment (later part of the 10th Mountain Division), at Fort Lewis, Washington. He participated in the invasion of Kiska Island in the Aleutians August 15, 1943. He was stationed at Camp Hale, Colorado, Camp Swift, Texas and fought in Italy. Following the war, Merritt returned to Camp Carson, Colorado. During combat in Italy, Merritt was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Torre Iussi, Italy April 15, 1945. Merritt passed away in 2008.
1 Photo folios
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Jim Merritt; 2001, 2002.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color slides. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Merritt, James C., 1922-2008 -- Archives.
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. -- Pictorial works.
- Ski troops -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Pictorial works.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Pictorial works.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James C. Merritt Papers
- Keli Schmid
- July 24, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States