10th Mountain Division Map Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection contains atlases, topographical and photo maps of Italy, Kiska Island, Alaska, Camp Swift, Tex., Camp Hale, Colo., Germany, Europe, and the World. Some battle maps have been annotated.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
The 10th Mountain Division, a full division of the United States Army, specializing in mountain and winter warfare, trained at Camp Hale, Colorado, during World War II. Experienced in skiing, mountaineering and cold-weather survival as well as military tactics, the soldiers fought enemy forces in the Italian Campaign of 1945. Dubbed the "ski troops" by the press, the 10th Mountain Division remains the only military division recruited by a civilian organization, the National Ski Patrol. Many 10th veterans contributed greatly to the development of the recreational ski industry in the United States and to the growth of related fields such as outdoor equipment development and nature conservation.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Multiple Donors; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italy -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photomaps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Topographic maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Maps.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- 10th Mountain Division Map Collection
- Keli Schmid
- September 19, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States