W.G. Chamberlain photograph collection
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Scenic views of Colorado and Yellowstone National Park including images of Glen Eyrie -- Clear Creek Canyon -- The Old Maids -- Ute Pass -- [Manitou Springs] -- [Garden of the Gods] -- Clear Creek Canyon, Weeping Rock (PhotoFolio1); Ute Pass & Rainbow Falls -- Mount Lincoln -- Yellowstone National Park -- Clear Creek Canyon -- Monument Park -- Denver, Colo. -- Manitou Springs -- Glen Eyrie -- Garden of the Gods (PhotoFolio2); original Chamberlain family scrapbook/album with photographs of Denver and Colo., poem (PhotoBox1).
- Chamberlain, W. G.(William Gunnison) (Person)
- Brown, Wesley A., (Person)
- Smith, Carolyn G., (Person)
- Chamberlain family, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo. Access is restricted to photographs from disassembled album due to fragile condition.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Pioneer photographer of Colorado. B. Newburyport, Mass. 1815. Lived and worked in Lima, Peru 1839-1852. Pioneered in Iowa and Calif. 1850s. Operated photographic studio Denver, Colo. 1861-1881. D. Mar. 19, 1910 Denver.
2 Photo folios
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift ;Wesley A. Brown ;Photo Folio1 ;2009. Gift ;Carolyn G. Smith ;Photo Folio2 ;2007. Gift ;Chamberlain family ;Photo Box1 ;n.d.
Title supplied by cataloger.
For a complete list of photographic prints and photographs see photo inventory sheet.
287 photographic images in Photo Box 1 have been digitized and are available online through the Denver Public Library's Digital Collections website (call numbers: X-19131 - X-191418).
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Chamberlain, W. G. (William Gunnison) -- Pictorial works.
- Colorado -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver (Colo.) -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stereographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Yellowstone National Park -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the W.G. Chamberlain photograph collection
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script