Robert T. Tidwell Jr. oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Tidwell's experiences: living in N.Y., attending trade school in Brooklyn, working for an aircraft company on deferment; enlisted because his brother survived being on a Navy ship that was blown up; assignment to the 10th Mountain Division and being sent to Naples, Italy; being with Company C at Riva Ridge; Mount Belvedere; German 88mm guns, minefields and other obstructions, being reprimanded for killing a chicken; going to Mount della Spe and saving the life of Willie Weems; killing a sniper; Lake Garda and the DUKW transport; memories after the war.
- Check date
- Tidwell, Robert T.,Jr.1922-2011. (Person)
- Tidwell, Robert T., Jr. 1922-2011, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert T. Tidwell, Jr. was born in Athens, Ala. on November 10, 1922 and enlisted in the Army on March 28, 1944 at Fort McPherson, Ga. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school, and working as a mechanic. Tidwell joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., where he was assigned to Company G of the 85th Infantry Regiment, but also served with Companies L and C. He served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. During combat operations at Castel d'Aiano, Hill 913 he was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions on April 14, 1945. Tidwell attained the rank of Private First Class. He died on December 11, 2011 in Punta Gorda, Fla.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tidwell, Robert T., Jr. 1922-2011 -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert T. Tidwell Jr. oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States