Robert S. Johnson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interviews provides information and personal observations about Johnson's experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division because of an article in Life Magazine; types of people who were in the early Division; being a Staff Sergeant with the 87th Infantry Regiment assigned to the message center; responsibility for coding and encoding messages; mentor and lifelong friend, Henry Moscow; incidents crossing the Po River and surrender of 6 German soldiers; discharge procedure at Camp McCoy.
- Check date
- Johnson, Robert S.,1921- (Person)
- Hampton, Myrna, (Person)
- Johnson, Robert S., 1921- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert S. Johnson was born in Mont. in 1921 and joined the Army on June 17, 1941 at Tacoma, Wash. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed grammar school and working in an aircraft factory. Johnson joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was initally assigned to 110th Mountain Signal Company, but later transferred to Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He also served with the Regimental Headquarters Company of the 87th Infantry Regiment. Johnson participated in the invasion of Kiska Island, Alaska and during combat operations in Italy. He received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Castel D'Aiano during March 1945.
2 videodiscs (47 min.) :sd., col. ;4 3/4 in. +2 videocassettes (47 min. : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.) +1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Johnson, Robert S., 1921- -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert S. Johnson oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States