Robert A. Wiebel oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Wiebel's experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division after meeting with Minnie Dole; arrival and training at Camp Hale, Colo. in March 1943; being quarantined with other soldiers with mumps and measles; being removed from active duty and transferred to Special Services because of an existing shoulder injury; role with Special Services, being a singer, organizing entertainment, "Hale and Hearty" production and performances; touring in Northern Colo. to help sell war bonds; being transferred to Medical Division at Ft. Lewis, Wash.; assignment to a hospital in the Philippines; end of war and leaving for the states.
- Check date
- Wiebel, Robert A.,1923- (Person)
- Tilson, Bernie, (Person)
- Wiebel, Robert A., 1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert A. Wiebel was born in New York City, N.Y. on November 12, 1923 and enlisted in the Army on February 24, 1943. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, and had completed 1 year of college. Wiebel joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company B, and then served with Company E of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Due to a previous shoulder injury, Wiebel was transferred to Special Services at Camp Hale and did not accompany the Division to Camp Swift, Tex. or Italy.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army Service Forces. Special Service Division -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- Wiebel, Robert A., 1923- -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert A. Wiebel oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States