Arthur C. Delaney oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Delaney's experiences: applying through the National Ski Patrol to join the 10th Mountain Division; joining and being assigned to the 87th Infantry Regiment; learning to ski and preparing to go to Kiska Island; landing at Kiska, activity and condition of the island; loss of soldiers from friendly fire; returning to Camp Hale and decision to try to join the Army Air Corps; return to the 87th at Camp Swift, Tex.; battle at Puncboard Hill, being wounded and hospitalization in Leghorn; publicity related to the 10th Mountain Division based on skiing and ski instruction; comments on the new 10th Mountain Division.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Arthur Delaney was born on October 18, 1921 in Brooklyn, N.Y. He had worked in Alaska before the war and decided to enlist in the Army after seeing the Life magazine cover story (November 9, 1942) about the 10th Mountain Division. Although never having skiied, he applied to National Ski Patrol and was recruited and joined Company L of the 87th Infantry Regiment. Trained at Camp Hale, Colo.; Fort Ord, Calif.; Camp Carson, Colo.; and Camp Swift, Tex.; Delaney saw combat during the Kiska (1943) and Italian campaigns (1945). On March 3, 1945, he was wounded in action on Mount Della Vedetta.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Delaney, Arthur C., 1921- -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Arthur C. Delaney oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script