Robert W. Yank oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Yank's experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division with 3 letters of recommendation while a reservist at the University of California; skiing and rock climbing at Camp Hale; training in Italy concerning booby traps and removing mines; climbing on Mount Belvedere; assault and attack on Hill 913 and being in a foxhole; German surrenders during advancement on the Po River; Mussolini's villa on Lake Garda and time spent there at the end of the war.
- Check date
- Yank, Robert W.,1924-2012 (Person)
- Yank, Robert W., 1924-2012 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert W. Yank was born on May 14, 1924 in Shasta, Calif. and enlisted in the Army at Berkeley, Calif. on December 15, 1942. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. Yank joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company I of the 86th and Company K of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations on March 8, 1945 near Monteforte, Yank was awarded the Bronze Star medal. He attained the rank of Technical Sargeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yank, Robert W., 1924-2012 -- Interviews
- Finding Aid for the Robert W. Yank oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States