Bernard H. Yett oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Yett's experiences: skied before joining the 10th Mountain Division as a member of the National Ski Patrol; joining the 10th Mountain Reconnaissance Troop and Mountain Training Group before the 10th Mountain Division was formed; basic training at Camp Roberts, Calif. and contracting spinal meningitis; recovery and assignment to Camp Hale, Colo.; teaching rock climbing and other skills; being sent to Camp McCoy, Wis. to teach mountaineering skills; return to Camp Hale and being an observer during the "D" Series; change in training focus at Camp Swift, Tex. from mountain troops to flat land experiences; transferring to Naples, Italy in January 1945 and travel to Pisa on a landing craft vehicle; short time in combat, being wounded and evacuated to a hospital in Leghorn; rejoining "D" company at the end of the war.
- Check date
- Yett, Bernard H.,1922- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Bernard H. Yett was born on September 16, 1922 in Ore. and enlisted in the Army at Tacoma, Wash. on December 21, 1943. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed two years of college and working in the manufacture of lumber products. Yett received basic training at Camp Roberts, Calif. before joining the 10th Mountain Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, and later also served with the Mountain Training Group. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to Company G of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Yett was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and Italy. While engaged in combat operations at Cappla di Ronchidos and Marzola Hill 762, he was twice wounded in action on February 21, 1945. Yett attained the rank of Sergeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Roberts (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort McCoy (Wis.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yett, Bernard H., 1922- -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Bernard H. Yett oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script