Eugene Hames oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Hames' experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division after hearing about it at a local gas station; attending officers training school at Ft. Benning, Ga.; skiing on Cooper Hill and difficulty with rock climbing; role as 1st Sergeant; experiences, strategy, and resistance at Castel d'Aiano and casualties suffered; Bronze Star medal for his strategy at Mt. Belvedere; Task force Duff; mass surrender of German soldiers; crossing Lake Garda and taking Mussolini's villa.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene S. Hames was born on July 24, 1920 near Phillipsburg, Mont. and enlisted in the Army on March 1, 1943 at Butte, Mont. At the time of enlistment, he was working as a lumber jack and even though he had received an occupational deferment and did not ski, he obtained three letters of recommendation then required by the National Ski Patrol in order to join the 10th Mountain Division. He learned to ski at Camp Hale, Colo. and following four weeks of training at the non-commissioned officer's school, he was promoted to corporal and retained by the school as an instructor. In April 1944, Hames became a first sergeant in the Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 86th Infantry Regiment. In the Fall of 1944, he applied to officer's candidate school and later received his commission at Ft Benning, Ga. before returning to the 10th Mountain Division as a platoon leader of the First Platoon, Company K of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Hames received the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Castel d'Aiano at Hill 913 on April 15, 1945. He died on November 23, 2006 in Denver, Colo.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hames, Eugene, 1920-2006 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene Hames oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script