Lyle G. Munson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Munson's experiences: drawn to the 10th Mountain Division because he had been a competitive skier in high school; Torge Torkle was his hero and subsequent friend; skiing in boys class tournaments; experiences at Riva Ridge, particularly at Mount Mancinello and Mount Cappel Buso; encountering German troops and taking prisoners; notching his rifle whenever he shot a German soldier; March 3 offensive when Torge Torkle and Art Tokola were killed; circumstances around being wounded and awakening in a field hospital.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lyle G. Munson was born in Racine, Wis. on May 15, 1923 and enlisted in the Army on February 8, 1943 at Marquette, Mich. At the time if his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working in the aircraft manufacturing industry. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Munson also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and during combat operations in Italy. He was wounded in action near Sassomolare on March 4, 1945 and attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Lyle G. Munson;2005.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Munson, Lyle G., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Lyle G. Munson oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script