Maria Louise Smart Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a 48 page, hand written letter by Maria Louise Smart describing the Meeker massacre (November 2, 1879); account book for the James Moynahan Groceries, Provisions & Miners' Supplies, Alma, Colo. (October 1897); letter from Mabel Shuck to Tom and Minnie Richardson describing weather conditions and family news, Alma, Colo. (March 5, 1899); letter from Mabel Shuck describing family life, Gottville, Calif. (May 28, 1924).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Maria Louise Richardson was born in England in about 1844. She was the daughter of Professor Charles Samuel Richardson (b. 1815; London, England) a civil and mining engineer. She later lived in Hot Sulphur Springs, Colo. during the Meeker Masacre (1879).
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Victor R. Oldright, 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- James Moynahan Groceries, Provisions & Miner's Supplies (Alma, Colo.) -- Archival resources.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Massacres -- Colorado -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richardson family.
- Shuck family.
- Smart family.
- Smart, Maria Louise, 1844- -- Archives.
- White River Massacre, Colo., 1879 -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script