Paul Joseph Perrault oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Perrault's experiences: being assigned to the engineering division and training received at Camp Hale, Colo.; how training applied to building a tram up Riva Ridge and its importance for removing wounded soldiers; crossing the Po River and receiving the Silver Star Medal for saving his wounded Sergeant; becoming a member of the US Ski Team and competing in the 1948 and 1952 Olympics.
- Check date
- Perrault, Paul Joseph,1924-2010. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
- Perrault, Paul Joseph, 1924-2010, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Paul J. "Joe" Perrault was born in Green Bay, Wis. and enlisted in the Army at Kalamazoo, Mich. on April 9, 1943. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed high school and working in the amusement industry. He had been a ski jumper and joined the 10th Mountain Division with recommendations in March 1943. At Camp Hale, Colo. he served with Companies B, C, and finally Company D of the 126th Mountain Engineer Battalion. Perrault was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. before being deployed to Italy. On April 14, 1945, he saved the life of his Sargeant, Andrew Merrill Clark, near Casigno. For this act of bravery Perrault was awarded the Silver Star Medal. He died in Ishpeming, Mich. on July 29, 2010.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Produced as part of the Western History/Genealogy Dept. Oral History Project. (if applicable, check inventory)
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Perrault, Paul Joseph, 1924-2010 -- Interviews.
- Silver Star -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. 126th Mountain Engineer Battalion -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Paul Joseph Perrault oral history,ca.2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States