Kindel Family Scrapbooks
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two scrapbooks and one catalog: 1. scrapbook of Colorado newspaper clippings concern railroad freight rates, its effect on Colorado businesses and George J. Kindel's battle for fair rates from western railroads. -- 2. Rose Kindel's scrapbook includes newspaper clippings on George Kindel and William Kindel, poetry, photographs. -- 3. George J. Kindel's couch catalog from the Denver Dry Goods Store, and ration stamps.
- Kindel family -- Archival resources (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
George Kindel was born in Ohio to German parents on March 2, 1855. He attended school until the age of three. His first job was for a German newspaper as a utility boy. He later did the same job for the Cincinatti Times. At the age of 16 he attended a trade school to learn upholstering and mattress making. He then served four years as an apprentice with Mitchell and Rammelsberg, for whom he also worked as journeyman for a year. In 1877 he moved to Denver in search of opportunity and in 1878, with $210, he started his own furniture business. For five years he battled with the Interstate Commerce Commission about Denver freight rates. Fellow business owners and the newspaper championed his cause. Member of the House of Representatives (1913-1915). Magdalein Rosa "Rose" Kindel (1868-1949) was George Kindel's sister.
1 oversize folio
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unidentified city agency, Denver, Colo., gift,1975.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Freight and freightage -- Colorado -- Rates. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kindel Bedding & Renovating Co. (Denver, Colo.)
- Kindel, Magdalein Rosa, 1868-1949 -- Archives.
- Railroads -- Freight -- Colorado -- Rates. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Kindel Family Scrapbooks
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script