Hugh W. Evans oral history
Scope and Contents
Recorded during a tour of former battle sites near Mount Gorgolesco, the interview provides information and personal observations about Evans' experiences: remains of fox holes, and combat operations that lead to his receiving the Silver Star medal; different locations where conflict took place; trail that extends from Mt. Gorgolesco to della Torraccia; German soldiers surrendering.
- Check date
- Evans, Hugh W.,1924- (Person)
- Evans, Hugh W., 1924- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Hugh Evans was born in San Francisco, Calif. in 1924. He attended Philips Exeter Academy before enlisting in the U.S. Army in 1943. Evans transferred to the 10th Mountain Division and was stationed at Camp Hale, Colo., Camp Carson, Colo. and Camp Swift, Tex. He served as an infantryman in Companies A and C of the 85th Regiment achieving the rank of Platoon Sergeant. During combat operations in Italy, Evans was wounded in action near Castel d'Aiano in April 1945 and received a Purple Heart. He was awarded the Silver Star for his service at Mount Gorgolesco in February 1945. Following the war, he attended Colorado School of Mines and was recalled to active duty during the Korean War, 1951- 1952. Evans held a number of managerial and executive positions in the mining industry. He is a member of the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, serving on the board of directors and as chairman. Instrumental in creating the International Federation of Mountain Soldiers, The Military Mountaineering Advisory Group and the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center. Evans is also the author of a book and numerous articles about the 10th Mountain Division.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Evans, Hugh W., 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Hugh W. Evans oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script