Robert J. Harris oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Harris' experiences: being a medic during the battle for Mount Belvedere; the role of a medic during the war in Italy; first casualty on Riva Ridge; transporting medical equipment up the mountain; medical aid stations; being injured on a rock wall.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert J. Harris was born in Iowa on August 6, 1922 and enisted in the Army on September 11, 1943 at Seattle, Wash. At the time of his enlistment he was married, had completed one year of college and working as a semi-skilled construction worker. Harris joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was asigned as a medic to Headquartes Company, 3rd Battalion of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he was wounded in action on April 15, 1945 and received the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Castel d' Aiano. Harris died in Seattle, Wash. on August 31, 2008.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Harris, Robert J., 1922-2008 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert J. Harris oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script