William D. "Dave" Dean oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Dean's time as a member of the 86th Infantry Regiment, being ill at Camp Hale, deployment on the ship SS Argentina, visiting Pisa, Italy, locating and dismantling mines, dead German soldiers, crossing Po River, being at Lake Garda at the end of the war, visiting American Cemetery in Florence.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William D. Dean was born on March 10, 1925 in Concord, N.H. and enlisted in the Army at Manchester, N.H. on July 6, 1943. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. Dean reported for duty at Ft. Devens, Mass., received his basic training at Camp Fannin, Tex., and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. Dean was assigned to Company I of the 90th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company K, 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Dean received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions near Tobole on April 29, 1945.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dean, William D., 1925- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William D. "Dave" Dean oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script