Jack C. Culbreath oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Culbreath's experiences: working as a naturalist at Yosemite National Park and deciding to join the 10th Mountain Division; basic training and officers candidate school; arriving in Italy and climbing Riva Ridge at night; assault on Belvedere in February 1945 and 923 casualties; meeting an Italian family and sharing rations; getting around Lake Garda in rubber rafts; being sick in the Po Valley from contaminated water and hospitalization until the end of the war; being sent to Ft. Riley, Kan. for discharge; post war career in the Forest Service and working in Alaska.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jack C. Culbreath was born on October 2, 1917 in Kinsley, Kan. He enlisted in the Army in 1942 at Ft. Ord, Calif. as a private, but was selected to attend officer's candidate school and received his commission at Ft. Benning, Ga. Culbreath joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. in December 1943 as a 1st Lieutenant and was assigned to the 87th, but later served with Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion of the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he received the Soldiers Medal for his actions at Quercianella on January 6, 1945 and the Bronze Star Medal at Navene on April 28, 1945.
Other Finding Aids
Typed transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;KTOO TV;Juneau, Alaska;2007.
Produced as part of the Western History/Genealogy Dept. Oral History Project. (if applicable, check inventory)
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Culbreath, Jack C., 1917- -- Interviews.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Ord (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Jack C. Culbreath oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script