Walter R. Cook oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Cook's experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division with letters of recommendation; 86th Infantry and transfer to Headquarters Company; impressions of activities at Camp Hale and daily operations at HQ; time off at Steamboat Springs; destruction and poverty in Naples, Italy; being a guard for HQ at Camp Tizzoro and how little was known about what was happening at the front; camaraderie, spirit and values of the 10th Mountain Division as part of the war in Italy.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Walter R. Cook was born on July 24, 1924 in Negaunee, Mich. and enlisted in the Army on March 19, 1943 at Kalamazoo, Mich. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working as an office clerk. Cook joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Headquarters Company of the 10th. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Camp Carson, Colo. and participated during combat operations in Italy.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cook, Walter R., 1924- -- Interviews.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Headquarters Company -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Walter R. Cook oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script