Eugene F. Hollander oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Hollander's experiences: private life before the war; joining the 10th Mountain Division; basic training at Camp Hale, skiing and rock climbing, "D" series; preparation for assault on Riva Ridge; being a forward observer, being wounded and receiving the Bronze Star medal; German attack on a tunnel at Lake Garda; private life after the war.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene F. "Gino" Hollander was born on August 4, 1924 in Newark, N.J. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. in January 1943 where he was assigned to Companies L and HQ before joining Company M of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Hollander also served at Fort Lewis, Wash.; Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations in Italy, Hollander was twice wounded in action at Mount Gorgolesco on February 21, 1945, Torbole on April 30, 1945 and received the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River campaigns. He attained the rank of Technical Sargeant.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Other Finding Aids
Typed transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association;2008.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hollander, Eugene F., 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene F. Hollander oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script