Robert Platt Boyd Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a 13 page typescript of Boyd's memoir about his time with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale and Camp Swift: "War Diary of a Mountain Engineer" (1998).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Platt Boyd was born on August 21, 1911 in Montgomery, Alabama. He was highly educated, having received a BS and MS in Civil Engineering. Boyd served in the Army for 10 months in the Yukon Territory helping to construct part of the Alcan Highway and in 1943 joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado. He served with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy during World War II as a member of the 126th Mountain Engineering Battalion and continued to serve on active duty in the Corp of Engineers until 1966. Upon his retirement from the Army he had attained the rank of Colonel. After leaving the Army, Boyd went on to become a professor of Industrial Engineering at Auburn University where he taught until his retirement in 1981. Boyd authored a self-published book, Me and Company C in 1992. Boyd died November 22, 2000 in Alabama.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Robert Platt Boyd Jr.; 1998.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Autobiographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Boyd, Robert Platt -- Archives.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineer Battalion, 126th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert Platt Boyd Jr. Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 21, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script