Neal P. McKinstry oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about McKinstry's experiences: personal background and joining the Army; officer's candidate school and teaching map reading and math; joined the 10th Mountain Division; being sent to Ft. Bliss for target practice; participation in the "D" series in terms of clothing and movement; chemical warfare school at Rocky Mountain Arsenal; time at Camp Swift, Tex., renaming of anti-aircraft battalion to anti-tank battalion; transport to Italy and conditions upon arrival; Riva Ridge; staying in a villa near Vidiciatico; being sent back to Colo. before discharge; returning to work with the Montana Soil Conservation Services.
- Check date
- McKinstry, Neal P.,1919-2007. (Person)
- Hampton, Myrna, (Person)
- McKinstry, Neal P., 1919-2007, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Neal P. McKinstry was born on July 9, 1919 in Jackson, Wyo. and enlisted in the Army on March 20, 1942 at Missoula, Mont. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of college and working for the Montana Soil Conservation Service. McKinstry served his basic training at Ft. Lewis, Wash. before being sent to searchlight battalion training in Southern Calif. and was later accepted to Officer's Candidate School at Camp Davis, N.C. After being commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant he worked on base teaching math and map reading. McKinstry applied and later joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to the 727th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Battery A. He served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. McKinstry received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Pizzo di Campiano on March 3, 1945. He died in Grand Junction, Colo. on April 30, 2007.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hi-8 Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McKinstry, Neal P., 1919-2007 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. 727th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- VHS Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Neal P. McKinstry oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script