John A. Hendron oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Hendron's experiences: being an avid skier at Camp McCoy and deciding to join the ski troops; capabilities as a skier at Camp Hale; landing and experiences at Kiska Island, Alaska; "Collette Long Knives" named after Lt. Collette; unreported positions led to mass killings due to friendly fire; death of Lt. Funk; weather and environment on Kiska Island; writing a newspaper for the Ski Troops; making a delivery behind enemy lines; after the war ended working in a hospital for VIPs in Potsdam, Germany; bringing water to Josef Stalin.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Alden Hendron was born on March 23, 1920 in Seattle, Wash. and enlisted in the Army at Seattle on December 13, 1941. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed one year of college and working as a laboratory technician. Hendron joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. were he was assigned to the Medical Unit of the 3rd Headquarters Company, 87th Infantry Regiment. He was deployed with his unit to Kiska Island, Alaska. He returned to Camp Carson, Colo. where he joined the 133rd Evacuation Hospital before being sent to Europe. Hendron attained the rank of Corporal. He died in Seattle, Wash. on December 16, 2010.
1 videodisc(s) (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hendron, John A., 1920-2010. -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Evacuation Hospital, 133rd -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John A. Hendron oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script