The glass plate negatives of J. Raymond Brackett (1854-1922) showing scenes of the University of Colorado from 1890 to 1915
Scope and Contents
Photographs of the University of Colorado at Boulder taken by J. Raymond Brackett. Early photographs of Old Main dating from the late 1870s were made by an unknown photographer but have been included in this collection. 16 photos are by Thomas C. Black. Subjects include the Anatomy building, athletic field, chapel, chemistry, cottages, Denison, engineering, geology, gym, Guggenheim, Hale, hospital, interiors, library, Macky, Main, medical building, power house, president's house, University Lake, Woodbury, people in crowds, and the Flatirons. Each image has documentation.
- between 1890-1915
- Brackett, J. Raymond,1854-1922. (Person)
- Bartlett, Albert A. (Person)
- Kupfner, George. (Person)
- University of Colorado Centennial Commission (1876-1976) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
J. Raymond Brackett (1854-1922) came to the University of Colorado in 1884 as a professor of English and Greek. Before he retired in 1919, he had served as Librarian, Dean of Arts and Sciences, and Dean of the Graduate School. Through his hobby of photography, he left a record of how the University looked between 1890 and 1915.
5 photo boxes
Five series of these notebooks were produced as a project carried out through the support of the University of Colorado Centennial Commission (1876-1976).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Title from typed title page.
Notebooks derived from the J. Raymond Brackett University of Colorado photograph collection, 1885-1915.
Sticker inside front cover reads: "Set no. 3 is presented to the Western History Section of the Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado."
Introductory information provides provenance of the images, biographical information, and reads: "A detailed description of the project is given in the front of the first book of each set."
16 of the images were made by Thomas C. Black.
Additional information on title page reads: "Prof. Albert A. Bartlett Department of Physics and Astrophysics Member of the Centennial Commission of the University of Colorado and George Kupfner University of Colorado Photographic Services Macky Auditorium Boulder, Colorado 80302 September 1973; A project carried out through the support of the University of Colorado Centennial Commission (1876-1976) Eugene H. Wilson, Chairman, funded by a grant from the E. Floyd Thompson Centennial Fund."
Varying Form of Title
Photographs of the University of Colorado Boulder 1890-1915 taken by J. Raymond Brackett
Linking Entry Complexity Note
The negatives from which this collection was printed are to be found in the Western History Collections and University Archives of Norlin Library, University of Colorado, Boulder.
Photographs are in three-ring looseleaf binders with mylar sleeves; binders are housed in photo boxes.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Colorado -- Boulder -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Colorado (Boulder campus) -- Photographs.
- Finding Aid for the The glass plate negatives of J. Raymond Brackett (1854-1922) showing scenes of the University of Colorado from 1890 to 1915[graphic] /by Albert A. Bartlett and George Kupfner, September 1973
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script