Stuart S. Elkind oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Elkind's experiences: being a mail clerk, rifleman and radio/wire man while with the 10th Mountain Division; battle at della Torraccia; responsibilities as a radio/wire man; repairing wires that were blown up from shelling during the battle at Mount della Torraccia; meeting a German soldier while filling canteen.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Stuart S. Elkind was born in Yonkers, N.Y. on January 31, 1926 and enlisted in the Army at Fort Dix, N.J. on March 1, 1944. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. Elkind transferred to the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. and was assigned to Company K of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he was wounded in action at Sasso Baldino on March 27, 1945, and received the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po RIver campaigns. Elkind died in Sarasota, Fla. on June 30, 2010.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elkind, Stuart S., 1926-2010 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Stuart S. Elkind oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script