Eugene Giannobile oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Giannobile's experiences: assignment in Naples, Italy; climbing Mt. Belvedere and machine gun fire; mortar fire at Castel d'Aiano; crossing Lake Garda on a DUKW; arrival at Lago di Garda and entering Mussolini's villa; capture of Mussolini; emigration to the United States from Italy and being classified as an enemy alien; irony of being an enemy alien and also having a US draft card.
- Check date
- Giannobile, Eugene,1921- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Giannobile, Eugene, 1921- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene Giannobile was born in Monteferrante, Italy in 1921 and emigrated to Bayonne, N.J. with his family in April 1938. He enlisted in the Army on October 14, 1942 at Newark, N.J. At the time of his enlistment, he had not yet become an American citizen, was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working in the manufacture of electrical machinery. Giannobile was sent to North Africa and was assigned to the Allied Control Commission. After Naples, Italy was secured by the Allies, he was sent there to work as a translator. In February 1945, Giannobile joined the newly arrived 10th Mountain Division as part of Company K of the 86th Infantry Regiment and participated in all of the Division's combat operations.
Other Finding Aids
Partial transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Giannobile, Eugene, 1921- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene Giannobile oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States