Maurice E. "Speed" Murphy oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Murphy's experiences: duties as a Staff Sergeant and responsibilities in caring for the soldiers assigned to him; being awarded the Soldier's Medal for saving several soldiers at Campo Tizzoro; impact the 10th Mountain Division had on the Italian front.
- Check date
- Murphy, Maurice E.,1921-2008. (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Murphy, Maurice E., 1921-2008, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Maurice E. "Speed" Murphy was born in Dorchester, Mass. on November 12, 1921 and enlisted in the Army on March 30, 1943 at Boston, Mass. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed high school and working as a machinist. Murphy joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company G of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, Murphy received the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Mount Spigolino on February 5, 1945 and the Soldier's Medal at Campo Tizzoro on March 1, 1945. He died in Boynton Beach, Fl. on May 19, 2008.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Murphy, Maurice E., 1921-2008 -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Maurice E. "Speed" Murphy oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States