Val Appel oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and Appel's personal observations about being wounded during basic training in S.C. and talks about his mule packing efforts at Camp Swift. He was shipped out to Camp Patrick Henry before boarding the SS West Point. Appel also discusses being wounded at Mt. Belvedere, and his travels to Germany at the end of the war.
- Check date
- Appel, Valentine,1926- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Valentine "Val" Appel was born in the Bronx, N.Y. on Febuary 13, 1926 and joined the enlisted reserve after graduating from High School and with the understanding he would be assigned to the mountain troops. He received his basic training at Camp Croft, S.C. before joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. Appel was assigned to Company L of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy he was wounded in action and received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the Mt. Belvedere on February 20, 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Produced as part of the Western History/Genealogy Dept. Oral History Project. (if applicable, check inventory)
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Appel, Valentine, 1926- -- Interviews.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Val Appel oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script