William B. Hartley Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence from Hartley to Captain Harold Alford describing his experiences in Officer Candidate School and at the School for Personnel Services (August 8, 1944 - January 14, 1946).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Hartley was born in Connecticut in 1912. At the time he enlisted in the Army in New York City on August 3, 1943, Hartley had completed four years of college, was married and working as a writer. He began training with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and was assigned to Company C of the 85th Regiment and later to the Division Headquarters Company. Hartley moved with the 10th to Camp Swift, Texas, and from there transferred to Officer Candidate School at Camp Lee, Virginia in August of 1944. He was posted to the School for Personnel Services in Lexington, Virginia in 1945, where he spent the remainder of World War II. Hartley attained the rank of T/4 while serving with the 10th Mountain Division.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Undated.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hartley, William B., 1912- -- Archives.
- Ski troops -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William B. Hartley Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 28, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script