Herbert Schneider oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Schneider's experiences: trip to Italy from Newport News, Va.; belief that the Division helped bring the war to an end more quickly; after the war ended, his return to his place of birth in Austria.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Herbert Schneider was born in Austria in 1920. He emigrated to the U.S. with his family in the mid-1930s and, even though not an American citizen, enlisted in the Army on July 12, 1943 at Manchester, N.H. Schneider was unmarried,had completed four years of high school and working as an athletic instructor. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters Company of the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, Schneider was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Mount Peradela on March 10, 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schneider, Herbert, 1920- -- Interviews.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Herbert Schneider oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script