Harris L. Haffner oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Haffner's time as a member of Company B, 604th Mountain Artillery and his service in Italy: role of an artillery battalion, gun sections, hiding guns and creating gun pits, foxholes, ammunition pits; crossing Lake Garda on a DUKW; end of the war; relocation to Yugoslavian border to reinforce British troops. He describes April 14, 1945 when his battalion and the 85th Infantry Regiment were under fire, as one of the worst times he had experienced during the war when fellow soldiers were killed.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Harris I. Haffner was born in Abington, Pa. on November 14, 1925 and enlisted in the Army on December 20, 1943 at New Cumberland, Pa. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. Haffner initially attended the Army Specialized Training Program at the University of Florida, but was later assigned to the 100th Infantry Division. In April 1944, he transferred to the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company B of the 604th Field Artillery Battalion as a cannoneer and mule driver. Haffner also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before deployment to Italy.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Haffner, Harris L., 1925- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion, 604th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Harris L. Haffner oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script