Richard C. Johnson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Johnson's experiences: joining the Mountain Troops prior to the formation of the 10th Mountain Division; being an ROTC commissioned officer from N.M.; serving as a ski trainer at Camp Hale; Kiska Island invasion; good military training at Camp Swift, Tex.; sailing to Italy on the USS West Point; officer's view of war activities at Mount Gorgolesco, Belvedere, and the Po Valley; being promoted to Executive Officer at Po replacing Major Skinner; Lake Garda as a pleasant place after the German surrender.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Richard C. Johnson was born on August 19, 1915 in Las Vegas, N.M. He graduated from Texas A&M with a degree in agriculture and a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant through their ROTC program (1926). Johnson was called to active duty on February 1, 1942. After eight months service with the 82nd Division, Johnson was transferred to the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment at Fort Lewis, Wash. where he served as commanding officer of several different companies, finally serving as Executive Officer of the 1st Battalion. He also participated in the invastion of Kiska Island and during combat operations in Italy. In June 1945, he transferred to the 85th Infantry Regiment before being released from active duty in December. Johnson received two Bronze Star medals, and attained the rank of Major.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Johnson, Richard C., 1915- -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Richard C. Johnson oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script