Austin J. "Mac" McKenna oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about McKenna's experiences: training as an engineer to do survey work at Fort Leonard Wood; transfer to the ski troops; Camp Hale in Winter and his assignment to S-2 Section of the Regimental Headquarters; mapping; "D" series training; Camp Swift and working with mules; being shipped to Italy in January 1945; trip to Maresca; drawing up plans for the tramway used to resupply Riva Ridge and to evacuate wounded; artillery barrages; crossing the Po River and Lake Garda; hospitality of Italian families and celebrations after the Germany surrender.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Austin J. McKenna was born on January 11, 1923 in Colo. and enlisted in the Army on May 22, 1943 at Denver, Colo. At the time of enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed two years of college, and working as a semiskilled craftsman. McKenna received engineering training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. before transferring to join the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., where he was assigned to Headquarters Company of the 126th Engineering Battalion. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. McKenna was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and during the Po River campaign in spring 1945. He attained the rank of Technician Grade 5.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McKenna, Austin J., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineer Battalion, 126th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Austin J. "Mac" McKenna oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script