Robert Pyle Thompson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Thompson's experiences: being a Quaker, but supporting the war effort; training at Camp Hale, Colo.; frostbite and casualties; determining the best route for the battalion to climb Riva Ridge; different routes and the view from Riva Ridge and being able to observe the battle on Mt. Belvedere; mountain battles, counter attacks after the Ridge was secure; almost being killed, earning the Silver Star medal for holding the line on Riva Ridge; throwing a hand grenade into a house with several people; cooperation fo Italian locals; being hospitalized for hepatitis before the war ended and not going to the Po Valley; being released from hospital, transfer to Trieste, acting as 1st Sergeant, receiving orders to return to the United States.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Pyle Thompson was born on September 24, 1923 in Penn. and enlisted in the Army on at Fort Meade, Md. on February 2, 1943. At the time of enlistment, he was unmarried, living in Chester Co., Penn., and attending Pennsylvania State University. Thompson joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company B of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. During combat operations near Pizzo di Campiano, Thompson was awarded the Silver Star medal for heroism on February 22, 1945.
2 videodiscs (100 min.) :sd., col. ;4 3/4 in. + 1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thompson, Robert Pyle, 1923- -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert Pyle Thompson oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script