Armand W. Giovanni Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Giovanni's war journal (1945), military records, postcards (1945), photographs (1943-1945).
- 1943-1945, 1980
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Armand Giovanni was born in Amsterdam, New York on December 11, 1923. His father was a carpet weaver and his mother worked as a glove maker. He enlisted in the Army on November 6, 1943 in Albany, New York after completing four years of high school. Giovanni joined Company K of the 87th Regiment of the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Texas and served in Italy during World War II. He achieved the rank of Private First Class and earned a Bronze Star for his service. Giovanni was married to Doris Davis and had three children. He worked for 17 years in the mining business at Val d’Or in the province of Quebec, Canada. Giovanni also worked for 23 years as a mail carrier in addition to work as a groom at a racetrack and as an extra in three movies. He died May 3, 2004 in Camillus, New York.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Armand W. Giovanni; 1996, 2002, 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Giovanni, Armand W., 1923-2004 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Armand W. Giovanni Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 28, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script