Albert V. Fernandes oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Fernandes' experiences: joining the 10th Mountain Division because of his interest in the out of doors; climb up Riva Ridge; battle that broke out during the ascent and being wounded; being saved by a harmonica and prayer book in his pocket; time recuperating in the hospital; D-Series maneuvers.
- Check date
- Partridge, Albert Fernandes,1923-2008. (Person)
- Partridge, Albert Fernandes, 1923-2008 (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Albert V. Fernandes (aka Albert Fernandes Partridge) was born in the Bronx, N.Y. on November 18, 1923 and enlisted in the Army on February 5, 1943 at New York City, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working as a sheet metal worker. Fernandes joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being deployed to Italy. On February 19, 1945, during the battle for Riva Ridge at Pizzo di Campiano Fernandes was severly wounded in action and received the Bronze Star medal. Following rehabilitation, he was finally discharged from the Army on September 1, 1945. He died on March 16, 2008 in Fort Charlotte, Fla.
Other Finding Aids
Partial transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fernandes, Albert V., 1923-2008 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Partridge, Albert Fernandes, 1923-2008 -- Archival resources.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Albert V. Fernandes oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States