Samuel J. Morrison oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Morrison's experiences: training and learning to ski at Camp Hale, Colo.; how engineering skills were useful during the war and being assigned to weapons and demolition; being wounded in Italy on Punchbowl Hill; traveling back to the Virginia on a medical ship; being a charter member of the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division.
- Check date
- Morrison, Samuel J.,1923- (Person)
- Morrison, Samuel J., 1923- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Samuel J. Morrison was born September 3, 1923 in Englewood, N.J. as Samuel Meiselman. He enlisted in the Army in February 1943 and served until August 1945. Meiselman joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., where he was assigned to the 86th Infantry Regiment. Later, he served with the 85th, 87th and 90th Regiments. During combat operations in Italy, Meiselman received the Bronze Star medal and was severely wounded in March 1945. After the war, he received 100% disability allowance, and started a career as a vending machine owner/proprietor. At some time during the 1950's, Meiselman legally changed his name to Samuel J. Morrison. He has been extremely active with the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Meiselman, Samuel, 1923- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Morrison, Samuel J., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Samuel J. Morrison oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script