Donald M. Dwyer oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Dwyer's experience at officer's training school at Fort Benning, Ga. and his decision to join the 10th Mountain Division. His most memorable experiences included his time with the D series at Camp Hale; hist trip to Italy in the USS West Point; combat at Belvedere and the Po River; and, with detail, he describes how wearing his Lt. badge saved his life by deflecting a sniper's bullet. He also describes hist trip home and his post-war activities.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Donald "Mike" Dwyer was born on June 3, 1921 and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., and was assigned to Company F of the 87th Infanty Regiment. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Dwyer was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Gualandi on March 4, 1945. He was later wounded in action and received a second Bronze Star Medal at Mt. Serra on April 17, 1945. Dwyer attained the rank of 1st Lieutenant.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Donald M. Dwyer;2007.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dwyer, Donald M. 1921- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Donald M. Dwyer oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script