Horton K. Durfee oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Durfee's time at Camp Swift, Tex., Camp Patrick Henry before being shipped to Italy, his ship and arrival in Naples, injured soldiers and the death of a soldier due to friendly fire, being injured on March 3, 1945 from friendly artillery fire, time and recovery in the field hospital.
- Check date
- Durfee, Horton K.,1925- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Horton K. Durfee was born on December 30, 1925 in Geneva, N.Y. Upon graduation from Darrow High School, Durfee was selected for the Army Specialized Training Program and began course work at Syracuse University, Auburn Branch. When the program terminated in January 1944, Durfee enlisted in the Army at Ft. Dix, N.J. He received basic training at Camp Wolters, Tex. Assigned to the 10th Mountain Division, Durfee served with Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Durfee received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions on February 23, 1945, and was wounded in action on March 3, 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Durfee, Horton K., 1925- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Horton K. Durfee oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States